Thursday, April 14, 2011

Introduction

Hello,  
      My name is Lacy.  I will be 25 years old on May 5th, 2011 and was diagnosed with PCOS(Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) in February 2011.  However, I knew I had PCOS years before this I just hadn't found the right Dr. to diagnose it properly.  About 5 years ago I went to my GP(General Practitioner) and he sent me to an endocrinologist who just did some basic blood work.  He just told me that I was "pre type 2 diabetes" and did no other testing....  So I just dropped the issue for quite sometime!  The endocrinologist had put me on Metformin but I wasn't having any results with it so I discontinued using it (on my own).  5 years later, after getting married and wanting to start a family, I knew I had to see a Dr. again.  I had recently gotten Kaiser Medical Insurance and so I made an appointment with a gynecologist.  She acknowledged, based on my symptoms, and ovulation charts from ( www.fertilityfriend.com ) that I most likely did have PCOS.  So she reffered me to my first RE(Reproductive Endocrinologist). 
      On my first appointment they did a full medical history, ordered a FULL workup on blood work and did an ovarian ultrasound.  After reviewing the ultrasound images she said I had "textbook PCOS ovaries"  and that I had a lot of uterine build-up due to me being on CD(cycle day) 70! 
You can see the ring of follicles on the wall of the ovary that are not growing to be released....
This is a side view of the lining of my uterus the "blob" of white in the center is the build-up of the uterus lining.

She then wrote me a RX(prescription) for Provera to force my body to start my next cycle, and Metformin 1500mg/day.  Although I had tried Metformin in the past without success I have a lot more confidence with this Dr. than the first Dr. who presecribed the Metformin.
      After taking the Metformin for about 2 months I still haven't seen much change.   So I started looking into more information about PCOS and other treatment options.  My hubby and I really want to start our family soon!   So through research I discovered that many women with PCOS that were TTC had success using a natural herb called Vitex (Chaste Tree Berry).  I have started taking that along with my Metformin and prenatal vitamin.  I really hope that it works!  They say to allow approximately 3-6 months for herbs to actually start working in the body so I will continue to try to be pacient.   I have only been taking the Vitex for 2 weeks so I still have a ways to go before I can expect to see results. 
      I think this is about all I have to tell you to get you caught up on who I am and my PCOS journey!  I hope that you continue to follow my blog....as I plan to do reviews on other blogs, products, books, and research sites!  I am also hoping to start a local San Diego Cyster Support Group so if you or someone you know has PCOS and lives in the San Diego area please let me know!

Your San Diego Cyster,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment